I'd like to throw my hat 🎩 in the ring for the moderator candidacy
I have over 2 decades of experience in AI, Machine Learning, Neuroscience and software development (mostly FED/UI/UX ), these days I do quant finance (with AI of course) to pay the bills and self funded R&D on Strong/Consciouss AI as well as writing on more mainstream AI and Software Development in general.
I am as much a student as a teacher on AI and strive for simplicity, clear explanations and humility (with a dash of humor).
I am not an expert on SO moderation but contributed with votes on issues for a little while and I understand there is a process, guidelines and tools to help with moderation which I'll do my best to follow, above all as I am also an user I'd like to be welcoming to new users, not self righteous in my dealings and help contribute to quality questions and answers.
Thank you for considering my nomination !
- How would you deal with a user who produced a steady stream of valuable answers, but tends to generate a large number of arguments/flags from comments?
[Communicate with the user, then timed suspension if the behavior continues]
- How would you handle a situation where another mod closed/deleted/etc. a question that you feel shouldn’t have been?
[I'd try to communicate my reasoning but ultimately as we are on equal footing I wouldn't press on the issue too much... unless the mods actions are beyond the pale, then I would escalate]
- On the SE network as a whole, there's been a surge in AI-generated posts (especially using ChatGPT). Being a site about AI, we've attracted plenty of people who think it'd be a good idea to use AI to generate posts here. Our current policy on AI-generated content is largely based on SO's and was implemented in response to the original surge of ChatGPT posts, which has slowed significantly (but not stopped). How would you handle AI-generated posts?
[I love and use ChatGPT, but I use it mostly to check grammar,spelling, punctuation and come up with outlines and starter paragraphs/code, sometimes even insights (which need to be triple checked), having said that there is a difference between using AI to help improve your question/answer or even get the answer vs using it to farm karma/rep which is what I understand SO is against and I agree, as for enforcement it's hard to tell as it is becoming increasingly hard to tell generated answers apart, but I understand SO has zero tolerance right now which goes a bit further than I would like ( a correct answer even if generated by AI should be allowed, maybe even have a special flag as I think it helps the user/community), but in any case as I mentioned I would try to abide by SO policies, while explaining why. ]
- In your opinion, what do moderators do?
[I haven't dealt with many moderator actions in my years here, but I understand they mainly deal with flag escalation and exceptions, sort of the buck stops here, but can also guide the community by locking,protecting Qs or even banning users as well as more managerial tasks like merging tags]
- A diamond will be attached to everything you say and have said in the past, including questions, answers and comments. Everything you will do will be seen under a different light. How do you feel about that?
[Ok I guess, I mean I'd like to think that we all said things in our past that we are not 100% proud off, but given the oportunity I'd gladly revisit them and change or add context to clarify the intention, which should never be to antagonize or be mean to someone]
- In what way do you feel that being a moderator will make you more effective as opposed to simply reaching enough reputation to access moderator tools or become a trusted user?
[I'd like to help the field and be involved in some capacity beyond what I already do, being a moderator I think would allow me to be in the midst of it and get another angle , rep stopped being important some time ago, it's the community aspect that I'd like to be part of, at least for some time].