I'm am quite new to deep learning but I think I found just the right real-world situation to start using it. The problem is that I have only used such algorithms to predict outcomes. For my new project, I need information to feed a machine with to optimize outcomes. Could someone explain briefly how I should proceed? I'm stuck.
Here's the situation:
I have a machine that takes planks of wood with different grades of wood available throughout its length and has to cut it into blocks provided in a cut list. This machine will always choose the highest score it can get from a given plank. The score is obtained by multiplying each block's area by its multiplicator. The algorithm I want to build has to give that machine a multiplicator for each block listed in a cut list. All of the physical output from this machine will be stocked on shelves by a robot until needed. The cutting machine is allowed to downgrade parts of a plank if it helps it reach a higher score.
The value has to act as an incentive for the machine to give me the block I need the most without downgrading too much wood.
- Make sure each block is in stock by the time it is needed, but not too early without reason
- Downgrade as little area of wood as possible (some species are very expensive)
- Amount of time before this block is needed
- Grade of wood for this block
- Amount of this block needed
- Block's area (Maybe?)
FEEDBACK PROVIDED TO THE ALGORITHM
- Amount of time in advance that the block was ready (must be as low as possible)
- Area of wood downgraded * number of grades skipped
EXPECTED RETURN DATA
- A multiplicator that will give that block an optimal its priority relative to others
INFORMATION I DON'T HAVE BUT COULD GATHER
- Mean ratio of each grade for each species of wood
What I've figured out so far is that I may need my feedback to be smashed in only one value in order to make it the output node. The problem is that I can't understand how to make this algorithm to determine a multiplicator. Am I wrong in trying to solve this through deep learning?