For questions regarding the use of the mathematical theory of games (Von Neumann, Morgenstern, Nash etc) in AI. For questions about the use of AI in game design and gaming, use [gaming].
Throughout the development of AI, game theory has been of central interest, since decisioning in business, finance, economic development and stabilization, industry, geopolitics, and personal life can be framed as a sequence of actions that may or may not drive some defined improvement in the ongoing or final outcome for some defined set of entities. These are a few examples.
- Driving improved treatment processes for the ill
- Driving a winning status at the end of a board game
- Controlling a robot making a repair to a nuclear reactor
- Managing an investment portfolio
- Modifying controllable parameters of an economy to incentivize trade and employment